Researchers from the German University of Kassel -Food Marketing Department- have published a meta-analysis suggesting the best marketing lines for edible insect products, based on 45 recently released researches.
“Edible insects could be a promising answer to the question of how to feed a growing human population with a healthier and more sustainable source of protein. Despite the increasing interest in entomophagy in food science and industry, however, consumer acceptance for insect-based food products remains low in Western countries. This systematic review provides a comprehensive and timely overview of studies relevant for researchers, practitioners and other stakeholders involved in the marketing of these products.
Reviewing data from 45 selected studies, we focus on marketing measures tested for their influence on Western consumers’ preference, acceptance, willingness to try, eat and/or buy insect-based food products. Organising the findings according to the 4Ps of the marketing mix framework, five main ways of enhancing the appeal and acceptance of insect-based food products are discussed:
1) developing product attributes that align with the specific preferences of target consumers;
2) a more subtle labelling of the presence of insects;
3) using value-added or competition-based pricing strategies;
4) making products consistently available in the marketplace;
5) promoting products more effectively through advertising, tasting activities, and social influence.”
To read the whole study, clic here.